Riley's Diagnosis

Riley James Faiai is my 2 year old son who was born with Craniosynostosis and probable Pfeiffer syndrome. When he was 5 months old, Riley had surgery to reconstruct his skull. This blog is the journal, story, and timeline that has helped me put Riley's Journey into words. Browse around the archives and feel free to contact me for more info or support! -Lauren (lfaiai@gmail.com)

Friday, July 04, 2008

Raising Awareness

I recently watched an episode of "Live with Regis and Kelly", where Kelly mentioned she had hosted and event for the Jorge Posada Foundation. The Jorge Posada Foundation is a non-profit organization established by the New York Yankees’ All-Star Catcher, Jorge Posada, and his wife, Laura. Their son, Jorge Jr., was diagnosed with Craniosynostosis when he was just ten days old and had to undergo five major surgeries to correct the condition.

I was thrilled to hear someone talk about Craniosynostosis on one of the nations top morning shows. I immediately searched for and found the Jorge Posada Foundation website. After searching through it, I emailed them to tell them about Riley and how encouraged I was to know that Jorge Posada and his family are raising awareness about Craniosynostosis. I also told them about Riley's blog in hopes they might be able to use it, or refer it to people who are struggling through the sometimes scary moments of the treatment and process of the condition.

I got an immediate auto response reply from the foundation saying they were overwhelmed with emails, and that it might take a while for anyone to respond. I also remembered that I never gave them the actual web address of Riley's blog. "Oh well"! I figured if they really wanted the web address, they'd email me back, and I was just glad they were raising awareness, even without Riley's story.

This morning, Steve was checking my blog and noticed a comment from someone named Mark. It read:

"Hi Lauren, I'm writing as a representative for the Jorge Posada Foundation. We received a request to include Riley's blog on our new web site. But would only do so with your permission. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at foundation@jorgeposada.com. We look forward to sharing Riley's story. Kind Regards - Mike"

I was stoked to hear that they found it on their own, or by someone else's request. I emailed back to APPROVE usage of Riley's blog on their website. I'm hoping that Riley's story linked from Jorge Posada's website will strengthen and give hope to people who have had the exact same thoughts and concerns I've had since the day of Riley's diagnosis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! That is too cool!
Riley's reaching out already and he doesn't even know it! God is good and will use it all! :)
Rock on!